The Land that Time Forgot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The Land that Time Forgot. This is forum mainly focused on dinosaurs, but other subjects can be added upon request. Notice:MEMBERS NEEDED!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stunningly intact dinosaur fossil found in Germany

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tklarenb

tklarenb

This section of the forum isn't getting much attention, so I'm out looking for some juicy stories Very Happy . Here's one I found.
Text is from the Nature News Blog:

The almost perfectly complete fossil of a young theropod dinosaur – including some preserved hair and skin* (see update below) – was unveiled yesterday by scientists from the Bavarian paleontological and geological collections (BSPG) in Munich, Germany. BSPG conservator Oliver Rauhut described it as the best preserved dinosaur skeleton to have ever been found in Europe.

Stunningly intact dinosaur fossil found in Germany German%20dinosaur

Darren Naish, palaeontologist at the University of Southampton, says the fossil is “incredible”. Rauhut says that fossils of theropod dinosaurs, which include the genus Tyrannosaurus, are rare and usually fragmented. "The best-preserved Tyrannosaurus we have are about 80 percent preserved, and that is already terrific," he says. The new fossil is around 98% intact.

The dinosaur died around 135 million years ago at a site near the present town of Kelheim in the southern German state of Bavaria. Rauhut and his team of palaeontologists think it was no more than a year old.

Naish hopes that the bone preservation in the fossil is as outstanding as it looks in the publically-released photo, because this might help scientists piece together the phylogeny of theropod species. No data is available on the fossil yet, so Naish can only speculate, but he says the dinosaur seems to have proportionally shorter legs, and a longer tail, than have been seen in other similar theropods. Particularly tantalising is the question of whether these differences are attributable to the dinosaur being a juvenile, or if it might be an example of a new species.

“There have been recent suggestions that some juvenile dinosaurs were so anatomically different to adults that they occupied different ecological niches,” says Naish. “Dinosaur species diversity seems to have been lower than might be expected, and one reason for this could be that individuals of a single species occupied multiple different niches over their lifetimes.” He says this new specimen might provide insights into this evolutionary possibility.

Anyone in the area can check out the fossil for themselves from 27 October, when it will be on display for four days at the Munich Show before moving to a museum.

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-tklarenb%7C500646496436

Awesome Raptor

Awesome Raptor

What dinosaur is it?

tklarenb

tklarenb

Awesome Raptor wrote:What dinosaur is it?

I copied the entire article. It doesn't say (maybe a new species?)

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-tklarenb%7C500646496436

Awesome Raptor

Awesome Raptor

wonder what they will call it

utahraptor_ostrommaysorum

utahraptor_ostrommaysorum

interesting. i hadn't heard about this discovery before. i hope it is a new species Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum